A residential neighbourhood which grew next to the railway tracks. The white horse of a weather vane of an old bar of the zone gave the name to this neighbourhood. In front of the Square of Primera Junta, one of the best city`s markets was located in front of the Square of Primera Junta: Del Progreso.
As in the case of Parque Rivadavia, this land also originally belonged to the Lezica family. In 1898 it was bought by the city of Buenos Aires for the construction of what was to be called Parque del Oeste or Parque Central. In 1909, it received its current name, on the occasion of the centenary of the revolution of independence in May 1810. It was laid out by French landscape artist Carlos Thays, the most important of the time in Buenos Aires.
Avenidas L. Marechal, Ángel Gallardo, Díaz Velez y Río de Janeiro
Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales
Rivadavia became the first national president in 1826. Previously, as secretary to the first triumvirate, he requested that all provincial governors collect natural specimens and objects in order to create a museum which, in 1823, became the first public museum in the country. It later received the name of Museo de Ciencias Naturales (Natural Science Museum). It has stood on its present site since 1931.
Av. Ángel Gallardo 490
Opened in 1928 in the presence of the mayor of Buenos Aires and of national president Marcelo T. de Alvear. Until that time the land had been owned by the Lezica family, who had built a summer house there. It is home to a very large book and magazine fair. The park has been a meeting place for stamp and coin collectors at weekends since the 1940’s.
Mercado del Progreso
Built by the Sociedad del Progreso del Caballito, it was inaugurated in 1889. The original Italian-style façade was later reformed with the inclusion of art deco elements. At present, the market consists of 17 stores facing the street and 174 stalls inside.
As public transport, the tram ran in Buenos Aires between 1870 and 1963. Operations as a tourist attraction restarted in 1980. The service leaves the corner of Emilio Mitre and José Bonifacio streets on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. The vehicles used were built in 1912, 1927 and 1961.