This year 112 murgas (a form of popular musical theatre performed both in Uruguay and in Argentina during the Carnival season) will shine in the 37 “Corsos” (Buenos Aires Carnival celebrations) organized in the districts of the City of Buenos Aires.
Starting today, Saturday January 31st 2015, Carnival celebrations will run every weekend, including Monday February 16th and Tuesday 17th.
Every Saturday the party starts at 7pm until 2am and on Sundays from 7pm until midnight.
The corsos are held in all districts, each calling for residents and tourists. Murgas origin typically have a neighborhood and look through humor and irony to make a social critique of the country.
Here is a list of corsos close to the hotel:
- Abasto: Cordoba between S. Bustamante and Agüero.
- Almagro: Corrientes between Medrano and Bulnes.
- Caballito: Avellaneda between Nicasio Orono and F. Sarmiento.
- Colegiales: General Lacroze between Martinez and Freire.
- San Telmo: San Juan between Chacabuco and Tacuarí.
- Villa Crespo: Scalabrini Ortiz between Corrientes and Velasco.
Latin American street musicians, carnival groups from Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia and Bolivia were invited by the Government of Argentina to participate in these celebrations,where musical shows will be performed.